It Ain’t All Perfect Powder

Skier Jeff Noordsy shows us that it ain’t all perfect powder – it takes some serious grit and determination to be a real East Coast skier!

« Back «

Introducing The Magic, A New Model!

December 19th, 2012 by Jason Duquette-Hoffman

Worth Skis Magic

The Worth Skis Magic

Like Willy Wonka, we just can’t leave well enough alone. The Humpback has been killing it as our most versatile, go everywhere ski. Of course, as a more traditional, directional shape, it left a few of the more progressive skiers out there wanting more….

You know, the ones who spend almost as much time backwards as front-wise. I’ve got this friend, an incredible skier, who has a habit of flinging himself off anything he can, and typically upside down, backwards or some such thing. Now, while I cannot share his enthusiasm for stretching the laws of physics, I do enjoy watching him ski. And what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t offer a design that worked for him and his ilk?

So when a few other friends, denizens of Magic Mountain, began asking about a backcountry-friendly twin that was more forward-mounted, I saw an opportunity.  Thus emerged the Magic.  Based on our Humpback, but with a more forward mount point, more balanced twin tip design, it is a perfect tool for getting jiggy with backcountry jibs. Topped off with a kickin’ new graphic from Amy Gironda that celebrates the natural mysticism of Vermont’s icon of the southern mountains, the Magic rounds out our offering of everyday backcountry shredding tools. Check it out! – Jason

7 Responses to “Introducing The Magic, A New Model!”

1. David McCluskey says:

Jason just took the Humpbacks out 1st time today at the Bowl for a few laps, Really nice ski, heavy powder on the sides of Cameron and they scarved right thru it. Took a basically straight run down Lang and didn’t even feel like I was moving. I’m going up to Sugarloaf for Sun-Tues and will try and get some runs on more variable terrain. Keep up the great work with the Worths
    David McCluskey

2. Brad Austin says:

These skis are looking awesome. How do they ski in the deep? Has anyone thrown some skins on them and tried touring?

3. Jason@Worth says:

Hey Brad,

This is a new prototype. First ones will hit the snow this Saturday! They are designed as a backcountry twin, for folks who like the Humpback, but want a more forward mounting position, twin tip and more fore-aft balance in the air.

4. Matt says:

Brad, I have had them out in pretty much every kind of snow you could imagine from blower to super wet heavy chop and they seriously slay it all. I wouldn’t hesitate to take these into the BC, and in fact would look to these first- as conditions are usually, well, variable. It could be pow up top and glop at the bottom. I am enamored by the Magic because it is not deflected or affected by this, they give a consistent and solid ride without feeling heavy or dead in the least, in fact they are very lively and fun. They are predictable and playful in pow, and also kick ass when it’s not so awesome, which is more than I can say for many other skis I’ve tried. Many are big compromises, but the magics are very consistently fun no matter what kind of snow you’re skiing. Huge sweet spot as well so you will easily drive them with your AT boots, even if they are soft and more upright in stance. The Magics are a perfect ski for touring, trees and anything you could ride over in the course of a day in the BC or on any mountain anywhere really. Even in big Utah skiing they were right at home. So in closing yes- they would be a fantastic choice for any BC skier no matter where they ski. Feel free to ask me anything specific you might want to know about them, I’ll do my best to share what I know. Cheers!

5. Nathan (woof) Wulfman says:

Ill have to be in the same boat as Matt on this one. As a skier at the Middlebury Snowbowl I have to deal with constantly variable conditions. Powder leading to ice, and then into so hard groomer. Even with every weapon in winters arsenal being thrown down underneath them THEY. ARE. FANTASTIC. They float effortlessly in the deep snow, be it heavy and wet, or light and fluffy you can count on being on top of it. On the icier stuff they slide around a bit which is expected out of something that isnt a slalom ski, yet they do somehow find grip and keep you on your feet. The other day I blasted them down a fluff coated groomer and hit ice, I felt them sliding yet, I felt in control and stable. On the groomers they are, yet again, awesome. I cant describe the feeling I get when I charge past racers throwing down slalom turns on a ski as wide as both of theirs skis together, followed by airing off a cliff into a powder field, all while under control and confident. As for the switch riding capabilities, they aren’t designed for it, which I admit makes it a bit awkward. But then again, there’s not much area in the eastern trees in which to ski switch. So for that purpose they are superb. The shape of the ski is new to me. The almost pin-tail maneuverability out of a ski that can hold gs and slalom turns, well, I wasn’t expecting it. The ability to go through tress hard and know that in a moment of crisis you can whip the tails out effortlessly to stop from careening over that unforeseen forty footer is reassuring. The flex is perfect for the jib-ability that is advertised in the ski. Stiff in the tip and poppy in the tail. The ski hops on and over (depending on what you want to do) logs, rocks and gullies with ease. Also on the jib aspect, they are light, which is key. To be able to swing skis in the direction you want in the air, or to throw them out to get that nose tap on that tree.

Over all this skis is sick. They may look like giant purple water skis but they work, really well. Im am very pleased with the ski and would recommend them to anyone who is looking for that playful all mountain ski that will surpass most others in its class. Get out there and experience….the Magic.

6. Andrew says:

Is it necessary to center-mount the bindings on this ski? How would it handle if I mounted them in a more traditional position?

Sounds like they are perfect for glades, but how do they handle in the REALLY tight trees at, for example, Magic Mtn – like the stuff you’d find skier’s left of Witch, or below Broomstick?

Finally, can anybody speak to the amount rocker in these skis? Is there any?